Registering a death that happened in London Borough of Lewisham
Registering a death during Covid-19:
- Deaths are currently registered by phone
- You will need to complete an online form, or call 020 8314 9268 to book a telephone appointment and the registrar will call you back
- There are more instructions for how to register a death in London Borough of Lewisham here
When you register the death, you will be asked for:
- The medical certificate.
- The deceased person’s medical card.
- Any benefit books.
- The deceased person’s marriage certificate, if there is a surviving spouse or civil partner.
You will also be asked for the following information about the deceased person:
- First name, surname and any maiden name.
- Date and place of death.
- Last permanent address.
- Date and place of birth (a copy of their birth certificate is helpful).
- Occupation and name/occupation/date of birth of any surviving spouse or civil partner. Details of benefit being claimed, including State and private pension income.
The registrar will issue a death certificate. If the deceased person had financial dealings with a number of organisations including banks, building societies and insurance companies, you may find it useful to obtain additional copies. Many companies will require a certified copy of the death certificate when they are advised of the death.
368 Lewisham High St, London SE13 6LQ
020 8690 2128
University Hospital Lewisham
020 8333 3000
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
020 8836 6000
Citizens Advice Bureau
03444 111 444
Freephone 116 123
Cruse Bereavement Care
If you’re struggling, you may find the following websites offer useful resources, advice and support groups for coping with grief and loss.
- The Samaritans – help for anyone dealing with any type of loss or issue.
- Cruse Bereavement Care – for support after a loss.
- Hope Again – for young people needing support following a loss.
- Widowed and Young – for younger people who have lost a partner.
- Macmillan – for support following a loss through cancer.
- Marie Curie – for support following a loss through a terminal illness.
- The Lullaby Trust – for support for those following an unexpected loss of a baby or young child.
- SANDS – for support following a loss through stillbirth or neonatal passing.
- Winston’s Wish – advice for anyone supporting bereaved children.
- Childhood Bereavement Network – a hub for anyone supporting bereaved children.