Funeral Expenses Guide

Funeral Expenses Guide

We are always mindful that everyone has different needs and financial circumstances and that’s why we make every effort to make sure that we offer a range of variously-priced services.  Our charges include all administration, staffing, facilities, funeral arranging and supervising, mortuary facilities on our premises and use of our Chapel of Rest (including viewing when embalming is approved), guidance with certification and registration, preparation and submission of newspaper notices and the receipt and listing of floral tributes or charitable donations.   

As a family-owned business, our approach is not dictated by shareholders demanding maximum profits and dividends.  We will always provide you with a comprehensive written estimate prior to undertaking any arrangements on your behalf.  So you will know exactly where you stand at all times.

Our estimate will include some third party costs, otherwise known as ‘disbursements’, which we pay on your behalf.  Sometimes the cost of funerals does attract criticism, but, understandably, these third party costs are often overlooked when such observations are made.  These disbursements cover expenses such as the doctor’s certification fee, any minister fees, the cost of cremation or buying a burial space and so on.  As such, we obviously do not have any direct control over these costs, although we are a member of the National Association of Funeral Directors which actively lobbies to keep these expenses to a minimum.


In cases of hardship, a concessionary service is available.  You may be entitled to receive help towards the cost of the funeral from the Benefits Agency if you or your partner* receive any of the following state benefits: Income Support, Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit (or the Council Tax payer where you live receives a Second Adult Rebate because you are on a low income, Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element, Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.  If you wish to apply, you will need to send a completed SF200 form, together with the death certificate and our final account, to the Department of Social Security. 

*For the purposes of your claim, your partner means the person you are either married to or are in a civil partnership with, or are living with as if you hold one of those legal statuses.  For more information and to download the SF200 form, visit

As members of the National Association of Funeral Directors (NAFD), we keep affordability in mind and adhere to the NAFD’s Code of Practice.