CPJ Field & Company Ltd, an independent and family owned Funeral Company, currently have x2 positions available for a Funeral Service Team Member (Chauffeur/Bearer), one permanent position on a full-time basis and one casual position on an ad-hoc basis. Both positions will be based at our funeral home at Heritage & Sons, Winslow. We require a very special person to join our dedicated and friendly team in this highly rewarding role.
There are no normal hours of work but, for the full time position you would be required to work a minimum of 39 hours per week Monday to Friday, which will be linked closely to the needs of the customer and business. The actual times of work may vary according to the needs of the business. For the casual position, this would be on an ad-hoc basis as required.
The role of a Funeral Service Team Member involves participation in a 24 hour on-call rota. This entails being available during evenings and weekends on a rotational basis. You may also be required to work hours in addition to those above e.g. to attend early or late funerals. Overtime and additional payments will be made for both of these aspects of the role.
You will provide support to funeral directors providing funeral services for the Heritage & Sons funeral homes of CPJ Field. You will be well presented, efficient and helpful in all matters concerned with the provision of funeral services in order that the reputation of the business is maintained at all times. The post holder is required to work flexibly, in a tight knit team environment. It may be necessary to assist, or cover for, other staff from time to time. Due to the nature of the role and the requirement to be part of the out of hours rota, ideally you will live within a 10 mile radius of Winslow.
Day to day, the successful applicant’s responsibilities may include:
- Driving our limousine on funerals. A limousine carries six passengers.
- Removal of the deceased from their place of death to our premises in a seemly and dignified manner.
- Checking and maintaining the mortuary register.
- Ensure immaculate appearance of all company vehicles at all times.
- Collection and preparation of coffins prior to funerals including fitting out and engraving name plates.
- Preparation of the deceased for presentation in the Chapel of Rest.
- Attendance at funerals, including driving vehicles and bearing coffins on the shoulder.
- To attend both day time and out of hours removals.
- To prepare graves and plots for ashes interments, including the removal and replacement of memorial tablets.
- To maintain office cover on an at-need basis.
- Willing and able to assist with any other duties which arise on a day to day basis which enhance the service and presentation of the Company.
- Keeping the premises of CPJ Field clean and tidy, specific areas for attention are the mortuary areas, preparation rooms, fridge areas, chapels, workshops , arranging offices, reception areas and upstairs offices.
- General maintenance may include - Basic decorating, changing light bulbs etc.
- You will, in addition to the above, be required to participate in a 24 hour call-out system in accordance with the local rota agreements for which you will receive an additional payment.
- Plus other duties consistent with the grade as directed.
Previous relevant experience is preferred, but not essential, ideally you will:
- Be hard working, reliable and honest, committed to maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Be a team player willing to be part of the out of hours removal team.
- Have experience of dealing sympathetically with clients.
- Be of smart appearance with a full driving licence.
- Possess the emotional strength and resilience required to work with the deceased in a variety of circumstances whilst maintaining a calm, mature and compassionate disposition for their families and loved one.
- Be physically fit. The applicant needs to be comfortable with bearing the weight of coffins along with the Funeral Service Team Members (FSTMs) whilst at funerals. There will be two FSTMs when on-call. The on-call team will be required to move the deceased from their place of death in a dignified way to our private ambulances, and from those ambulances to the mortuary. Manual handling equipment and training is provided.
The role will be based at our Heritage & Sons, Winslow funeral home, however you will travel in company transport within the area covered by the Heritage & Sons funeral homes.
NB. You will be required to complete an Application Form as part of the recruitment process which will be forwarded to you on receipt of your CV.