We currently have a couple of positions for Funeral Service Team Members (Chauffeur/Bearer) at our London Hub in Peckham. We require a very special person to join our team dedicated to serving families at one of the most difficult times in their lives.
There are no normal hours of work but you are required to work a minimum of 39 hours per week Monday to Friday, which will be linked closely to the needs of the customer and business. The actual times of work may vary according to the needs of the business and may involve evening and weekend working. You may also be required to work hours in addition to those above.
You will provide support to Funeral Directors providing funeral services from our London funeral homes. You will be well presented, efficient and helpful in all matters concerned with the provision of funeral services in order that the reputation of the business is maintained at all times. The post holder is required to work flexibly, in a tight-knit team environment. It may be necessary to assist, or cover for, other staff from time to time. Due to the nature of the role and the requirement to be part of the out of hours rota, ideally, you will live within a 10-mile radius of Peckham.
Day to day, the successful applicant’s responsibilities may include:
- Driving our limousine on funerals. A limousine carries six passengers.
- Removal of the deceased from their place of death to our premises in a seemly and dignified manner.
- Checking and maintaining the mortuary register.
- Ensure the immaculate appearance of all company vehicles at all times.
- Collection and preparation of coffins prior to funerals including fitting out and engraving nameplates.
- Preparation of the deceased for presentation in the Chapel of Rest.
- Attendance at funerals, including driving vehicles and bearing coffins on the shoulder.
- To attend both day time and out of hours removals.
- To prepare graves and plots for ashes interments, including the removal and replacement of memorial tablets.
- To maintain office cover on an at-need basis.
- Willing and able to assist with any other duties which arise on a day to day basis which enhance the service and presentation of the Company.
- Keeping the premises of CPJ Field within the London area, clean and tidy. Specific areas for attention are- The mortuary areas, preparation rooms, fridge areas, the chapels, the workshops, the arranging offices, reception areas, and upstairs offices.
- General maintenance to include - Basic decorating, changing light bulbs, etc.
- You will, in addition to the above, be required to participate in a 24-hour call-out system in accordance with the local rota agreements for which you will receive an additional payment.
Plus other duties consistent with the grade as directed.
Previous relevant experience is preferred, but not essential, ideally, you will be :
- Hard-working, reliability and honest, committed to maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- A team player, willing to be part of the out of hours removal team.
- Have experience of dealing sympathetically with clients.
- Of smart appearance with a full driving license.
The role will be based at our location in Peckham.
NB. You will be required to complete an Application Form as part of the recruitment process which will be forwarded to you on receipt of your CV.