We currently have a position for a Funeral Service Team member (Chauffeur/Bearer) to join our team based in Eastbourne on a full-time basis and with a competitive salary.
There are no normal hours of work but you are required to work a minimum of 39 hours per week Monday to Friday, which will be linked closely to the needs of the customer and business. The actual times of work may vary according to the needs of the business.
The role involves participation in a 24-hour on-call rota. This entails being available during evenings and weekends on a rotational basis. You may also be required to work hours in addition to those above eg to attend early or late funerals. Overtime and additional payments will be made for both of these aspects of the role.
You will provide support to Funeral Directors providing funeral services for our Haine & Son Funeral Home in Eastbourne. You will be well presented, efficient and helpful in all matters concerned with the provision of funeral services in order that the reputation of the business is maintained at all times. The post holder is required to work flexibly, in a tight-knit team. It may be necessary to assist, or cover for, other staff from time to time. Due to the nature of the role and the requirement to be part of the out of hours rota, ideally, you will live within a 10-mile radius of Eastbourne.
Day to day, the successful applicant’s responsibilities may include:
- Driving our limousine on funerals. A limousine carries six passengers.
- Removal of the deceased from their place of death to our premises in a seemly and dignified manner.
- Checking and maintaining the mortuary register.
- Ensure the immaculate appearance of all company vehicles at all times.
- Collection and preparation of coffins prior to funerals including fitting out and engraving nameplates.
- Preparation of the deceased for presentation in the Chapel of Rest.
- Attendance at funerals, including driving vehicles and bearing coffins on the shoulder.
- To attend both day time and out of hours removals.
- To prepare graves and plots for ashes interments, including the removal and replacement of memorial tablets.
- To maintain office cover on an at-need basis.
- Willing and able to assist with any other duties which arise on a day to day basis which enhance the service and presentation of the Company.
- Keeping the premises of CPJ Field clean and tidy, specific areas for attention are the mortuary areas, preparation rooms, fridge areas, chapels, workshops, arranging offices, reception areas, and upstairs offices.
- General maintenance may include - Basic decorating, changing light bulbs, etc.
- You will, in addition to the above, be required to participate in a 24-hour call-out system in accordance with the local rota agreements for which you will receive an additional payment.
- Plus other duties consistent with the grade as directed.
Previous relevant experience is preferred, but not essential, ideally, you will:
- Be hard-working, reliable and honest, committed to maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- Be a team player willing to be part of the out of hours removal team.
- Have experience of dealing sympathetically with clients.
- Be of smart appearance with a full driving license.
- Possess the emotional strength and resilience required to work with the deceased in a variety of circumstances whilst maintaining a calm, mature and compassionate disposition for their families and loved one.
- Be physically fit. The applicant needs to be comfortable with bearing the weight of coffins along with the Funeral Service Team Members (FSTM) whilst at funerals. There will be two FSTMs when on-call. The on-call team will be required to move the deceased from their place of death in a dignified way to our private ambulances, and from those ambulances to the mortuary. Manual handling of equipment and training is provided.
The role will be based working across our Haine & Son Funeral Home in Eastbourne.
NB. You will be required to complete an Application Form as part of the recruitment process which will be forwarded to you on receipt of your CV.